The Broadening Horizons program is open to students in year 10 and 11. It provides students with a real-world experience, enabling them to develop a real understanding and unique education experiences that are tailored to developing relationships.
All partnerships are designed to develop respectful young people, who feel ready to play their role in social justice across the globe – people who embody their values and understandings, and act upon them. Our young people are encouraged to embrace diversity and celebrate individual differences. All components are immersive and underpinned by strong relationships developed over many years.
- Develop greater awareness and understanding of global issues
- Gain attention to life outside of the safe and secure environment of the Mornington Peninsula
- Practical opportunities to further develop independence, resilience, and initiative in more challenging environments
- Experience and be inspired by how individuals can make a difference
- Develop life skills through experiences that will require courage, generosity, imagination, and resolution
- Tangible ways to embrace the importance of service to others, global responsibilities, and cultural understandings
- An opportunity to co-develop projects and tackle global issues
- Challenge and confront tokenism and the belief in the superiority
- Foster understanding, goodwill, respect, and friendship
Broadening Horizons opportunities for 2023 include the following national and international trips:
- International Round Square Conference, Kenya: Ocotber 2023
- Round Square International School: October 2023
- French Immersion: December 2023 to January 2024
- Indonesia Immersion: December 2023
- Cambodia Partnership: December 2023
- Vietnam Partnership
- Operation Wallacea, Indonesia: dates TBC
- Laynhapuy: Activities week, term 3, 2023
- Ampilatwatja: Activities week, term 3, 2023
For further information, download the Broadening Horizons 2023 Handbook.
There is a selection process for students which may involve a written application and interview by a panel of staff and students who have previously been involved. The Expression of Interest form is available in the Broadening Horizons 2023 Handbook.
The coordinator of each program will then run at least one additional Information Session pre-departure. If you have any questions or comments in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact Gareth Bolch, Dreictor of Community, Culture and Student Experiences.
Deputy Principal - Community, Culture and Student Experiences