Join the Woodleigh Snow Sports Race Team for 2023
Every year, Woodleigh enters a team in the Victorian Interschool Snow Sports Championships held at Mt Buller, from Monday 21 August to Sunday 27 August.
To prepare students for the championships, we run a training camp for the group before the event during the Term 3 Activities Week program. This year the training camp will be at Falls Creek. The camp is limited to 24 students. Students will travel up to Falls Creek in Week 5, on the morning of Sunday 13 August, and return on Friday 18 August.
Students would be at school in Week 6 on at least Monday and Tuesday before travelling to Mt Buller for the Victorian Interschool Snow Sports Championships. Depending on the division entered and the event, some students would not need to be at the mountain until Thursday, Friday or Saturday for their races. Divisions are linked to school year levels;
- Division 3 – Years 7 and 8
- Division 2 – Years 9 and 10 and
- Division 1 – Years 11 and 12*.
*Students undertaking Year 12 VCE subjects who choose to compete will miss very little school, with Division 1 running on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
More details of the events and a provisional timetable can be found at the following interschools website, including complimentary insurance for students competing via this snow racer link. All competitors must have a Snow ID to compete.
Accommodation on the mountain for the competition week books out early in the year so if you are thinking of participating book your accommodation ASAP.
This year there are three options for students to select from:
- Training camp and competition – recommended for students who are serious about improving their skill and technique and who will compete in the championships. Students must already be able to board or ski at an intermediate level to apply.
- Training camp only – only available to students who have not attended the camp before and want to experience the advanced training. Students must already be able to board or ski at an intermediate level to apply. (Note preference for a place on the training camp will be given to students who select option 1.)
- Competition only – for past members of the team who want to represent the school and have been on a training camp in past years.
If you are interested in your son/daughter being part of the Woodleigh Snow Sports Team in 2023, please ask them to see Mr Higgins for an information letter and forms in Week 4 of Term 1 and to check morning notices for any of the updates and further information during Term 1.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me early in 2023.
Snow Sports Coordinator