Happy Holidays, Everyone!
As the term draws to a close, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support and engagement throughout the term and wish you well for the forthcoming break.
Staff will be on deck for two days of PYP training on Monday 15 July and Tuesday 16 July and we look forward to welcoming all students back for the commencement of Term 3 on Wednesday 17 July. Year 5 will head off to Sovereign Hill for their three-day Goldfields experience on Wednesday 17 July.
This term the Year 1 and 2 students have experienced the best and worst of Melbourne’s weather while out on Discovery Day. The changing weather has provided many opportunities for the students to observe and record environmental change and adapt their learning and play to suit their changing landscapes.
Last week a group of students met up with volunteers from Action Sweetwater Creek Inc. to assist them with planting some indigenous plants in Sweetwater Creek Nature Reserve. The students thoroughly enjoyed this experience and were more than happy to pitch in and get their hands dirty.
There are a few staffing changes taking effect from the beginning of next term.
Mrs Noeleen Martin, our Year 1 teacher, will commence Long Service Leave and will be replaced by Mrs Nicci Murdoch throughout the term.
Ms Jodie Dunphy, our Dance teacher, will also be taking her Long Service Leave throughout Term 3 and will be replaced by Ms Serena Wong.
Our Drama teacher, Mrs Sarah Thomas, is excitedly awaiting the arrival of a new baby and will commence her maternity leave on 9 August. Ms Serena Wong will take on the responsibility for Sarah’s Drama classes, and the forthcoming Year 6 Production.
Mrs Maree Chynoweth will also be taking Long Service Leave for the first three weeks of Term 3. Maree will be replaced by Ms Briony Wright.
Thank you to all those who purchased books at our recent Book Fair.
Not only did we support an independently run small business, but we raised over $400 to buy books for a school on the Peninsula that does not have a library. This school now has new books in one of their classrooms, which aids in accessing literature and has brought much excitement to the students in that class.
Thank you and happy reading!
A small but enthusiastic group of 5/6 students have been busy in their pyjamas this term! The Round Square Action Group organised a PJ Day for Minimbah, but it was not just an excuse to wear their pjs to school; they were hoping to gather donations for the local charity group, Mums Supporting Families in Need. At this time of year, the Seaford-based charity has recognised that there are many families in our community who struggle to afford winter pyjamas, socks and underwear.
So, on Friday the 7th of June, Minimbah students had to WEAR their pjs and DONATE new pyjamas, socks or undies. Approximately 450 packages were donated, exceeding all expectations. Also, the Dwyer-Morris family kindly donated many boxes of personal care items such as soaps, lip balms and moisturisers.
We thank the Minimbah Community for your support of this initiative.
MSFiN representative, Kia, attended our assembly on Thursday to receive all the goodies.
After the success of the coding program last term, we will be offering the Junior Engineers program again on Thursdays in Term 3 for all students in Year 2–6. There will be two programs to choose from to cater to the students' experience. The courses provide students with a solid understanding of computational thinking and coding, which are some of the most in-demand skills in the workplace.
The program is designed to be accessible, fun and informative for beginners and students with coding experience alike. For more information and to enrol your child, click on the link:
Semester 1 reports will be available to download on Friday 21 June. You will be sent a link via email.
Parent/Teacher Interviews will be conducted for 4yo ECC, Foundation and Year 2 to Year 6 on Tuesday 23 July and Wednesday 24 July (Term 3, Week 2).
Interviews will be held in Pathways.
Interviews will be of 15 minutes duration.
To book a time with class teachers, you will need to access our internet-based booking system called Parent Teacher Online (PTO). The system is ready to take appointments now.
The system will allow you to book an interview time that suits you best from any internet-connected computer or device. If you have any issues connecting, you may contact Kerrie in the Minimbah Office on 9788 6488 to make an appointment.
Please access Parent Teacher Online as follows:
- Click on this link to access PTO
- Go to the School’s home page: www.woodleigh.vic.edu.au
- You will find a link to PTO under the Minimbah tab (Parent Resources) on the home page
- Click the Parent Teacher Online (Minimbah)
- Obtain your PIN/password as instructed on the PTO homepage.
Go to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and download the PTO App. You will need to enter our unique school code which is 48990 to access the Minimbah Campus PTO.
Full instructions are provided to you after login. Please note the following points:
- When you log on, the system displays only your child/children.
- You will only see time slots which are available at the time you are using the system. As time slots are booked for teachers, those time slots are no longer displayed as available. PTO prevents double-booking of teachers or parents.
- When you have made all the bookings you require, you can print a report of your bookings in time order. You can log in and change bookings any time up until 11.00pm the day before the interview.
- Other parents may be making bookings at the same time that you are using the system. It is possible, though unlikely, that a time slot is displayed to you as available, but is then booked by another parent shortly afterwards. If you then attempt to book this time slot, it will not be available, and a message will be displayed to indicate this.
- If you encounter any problems using PTO, please contact us in the office, or via email at email@example.com.
In preparation for next term I have some holiday homework for you … knitting a beanie! I would love students and families to contribute to this year’s Beanie Festival. I have attached a simple beanie pattern. There are plenty more online!
Here’s a little video to get you started if you are like me and don’t know how to knit. 😊
Just a reminder that the Earn and Learn campaign concludes this week. Please get any remaining stickers to us before the end of term and thanks for collecting them!
Wednesday 17 July
- Term 3 Commences
- Year 5 Sex Ed Parent Info Session, 7.00pm 5/6 Homestead
- Year 5 Sovereign Hill Study Tour
- Year 6 Excursion to Bosch Australia
- Parent/Teacher Interviews
- Year 3 and 4 Waste Pioneers Program
- PFG Meeting, 7.00pm (note evening meeting)
- PFG Disco
- Afternoon Soiree
- Boite Chorus
- Girls’ AFL Comp
- PFG Comedy Night
Thursday 18 July
Thursday 25 July
Aerobics Team Display
Thursday 1 August
Year 3 and 4
Thursday 8 August
Thursday 15 August
Year 6 - Round Square - Jakarta
Thursday 22 August
Thursday 29 August
Thursday 5 September
Thursday 12 September
Book Week Assembly
Thursday 19 September
Woodleigh's Adventurous Minds Scholarships for Year 5 and Year 7 entry in 2021 open on Monday 15 July 2019. Applications are welcome from current Woodleigh students entering Year 5 and Year 7 in 2021 as well as other students from the wider community.
- Scholarship Applications OPEN: Monday 15 July 2019
- Scholarship Applications CLOSE: Thursday 5 September 2019
- Examination Day: Thursday 12 September 2019