An experienced Laboratory Manager is required at the Senior Campus of Woodleigh School. This is a Full Time Maternity Leave replacement position, from January 2019 to October 2019.
Position: Laboratory Manager Campus: Senior Campus – Woodleigh School
Faculty: Science Reports to: Head of Science Faculty Key Relationships: Principal, Teaching Staff, Science Faculty, Students
This is a maternity leave replacement position in the Science Faculty at Woodleigh School from January 2019 to October 2019.
Preparation of Practical Equipment and Resources
- Prepare equipment as requested through the Outlook calendar and appointment booking system
- Prepare chemicals accurately
- Process ordering and invoicing of budget requisites
- Experience with chemistry, physics and biological equipment and resources required in all academic areas
- Liaison with teaching staff regarding preparation and safety requirements and legislation
- Be responsible for preparing and maintain the chemical register for the Woodleigh School including all appropriate MSDS documentation
- Ensure equipment is correctly stored
- Manage a safe working environment
- Manage repairs, maintenance and inspections of all equipment
- Maintain the stock management system of chemicals and equipment within the faculty
OH&S Work Health & Safety
- Ensure that all practical equipment and chemicals are ordered through the Risk Assess ordering system and communicate with staff for support of all staff delivering science subjects
- Comply with safe operating practices when handling chemicals and equipment in accordance with Woodleigh School policy and procedures
- Other duties as required
Applicants should be able to demonstrate experience or skills in the following areas:
- An understanding of appropriate behaviours when engaging with children
- Excellent communication, conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to work co-operatively with science staff and Head of Faculty
- Understanding and experience in working with young people from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with other staff and with students; customer service skills
- Good IT skills
- Efficient time management skills
- Professional practice that is strongly aligned with the expectations of The Woodleigh Teacher
Highly desirable skills:
- Experience as a Laboratory Technician/Manager in a school or similar educational institution
- Familiarity with reequipments concerning Chemical Safety in Schools
- Tertiary Diploma/TAFE Certificate IV qualifications in Chemistry, Laboratory Management or acceptable equivalent
Applicants must also demonstrate:
- A commitment to Woodleigh’s Values of Respect for Self, Respect for Others and Respect for the Environment
- A commitment to the School’s co-curricular, experiential and outdoor education programmes
- Ability to work effectively within a team
- The determination to strive for personal best
- A willingness to innovate and encourage the development of creativity
Conditions of Employment:
- A Working with Children’s Check is required for this position
- Qualification and First Aid Training confirmation is required for this position
- Woodleigh is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to appointing staff on the basis of merit
- At Woodleigh School we have a zero tolerance for child abuse and are committed to acting in children's best interests and keeping them safe from harm. All staff are to abide by the Child Safety Code of Conduct
- It is a condition of employment that all staff take responsibility for a safe and healthy work environment and have a commitment to equal employment opportunity and a workplace free from discrimination and harassment
- Woodleigh operates a smoke-free work environment
This is a fixed term contract from January 2019 to October 2019.
Applications should be addressed to the Principal and emailed to the Principal's Office firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 12th October2018
Any queries relating to this position to: Alex Nemkevich, Laboratory Manager, email@example.com or 03 5971 6100
Applications close 5pm,Friday 12th October 2018
Located on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula, Woodleigh School is an independent, coeducational school comprising two Junior Campuses (ECC-Year 6) in Frankston South and Moorooduc and a Senior Campus in Langwarrin South.
Woodleigh is a community that strongly values a holistic education. It is a place where students are known and valued, where boys and girls grow into independent, creative, resilient individuals together.
Woodleigh is a school of dynamic, academically rigorous learning, which reflects and responds to the world we live in today. Whilst very definitely an academic school, with fine VCE results equipping the large majority of students for tertiary study, it also provides a number of other very important dimensions that prepare all students for the challenges of life in the twenty first century.
Woodleigh affirms openness, independence, self-motivation and initiative, and never limits students to predetermined outcomes. Woodleigh is entirely coeducational, committed to the belief that this is the only suitable setting to educate both boys and girls for adult life.
The Woodleigh Staff Member
- Encourages a culture of mutual respect, inquiry, innovation and learning
- Emphasises the Woodleigh model for Personalised Learning in their professional practice (real world, experiential learning; assessment for learning; life-long learning skills; coaching and mentoring; and wellbeing and engagement.)
- Communicates effectively with students and families about learning activities and student progress
- Sets high academic achievement expectations
- Identifies and supports students' social, emotional, and behavioural learning needs
- Facilitates, designs and engages with effective collaboration
- Provides timely feedback and collaborates with others to offer specialised support
- Differentiates instruction based on feedback and learning needs
Woodleigh School is an equal opportunity employer.